Howe U Ben Slideshow

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bus Driver, Move That Bus!

The Extreme Makeover Home Edition crew was in town this week doing the usual, so I signed up as a volunteer. I was selected to work today, the last day of the build from 6 to 10 AM. I was "Extremely" excited because this is one of my most favorite shows and I was thrilled at the chance to be a part of it (and have the possibility to be on TV).



I arrived at the lot at the appointed time with the other volunteers assigned to the shift and we were informed that they had run out of the t-shirts the night before. I was devastated because my children were looking forward to me coming home with the famous blue t-shirt. (That's not me in the pic. I pulled that image off the web. I didn't take any pics. The volunteers weren't allowed to.) There contractors and tradesmen, who had returned from previous days, running around with their shirts on. After about an hour and a half of working in the house, a crew member came through with a load of shirts. There were five of us in the room at the time and he only had four shirts. Guess who was the lucky one that didn't get one. Exactly. I was even more bummed. Then after another hour, I walked in to the garage and one of the ladies that I had arrived with called for me. Another crew member had been going through the house with shirts and she held him there until she could find me so I could get my shirt. Happy Day! I was official. I felt like Rudy when he finally got to suit up for his final game and actually get on the field.


Just before my four hour shift was up they asked for any and all volunteers to stick around for to help finish the house to get ready for the big reveal. It was almost involuntary because they stopped running the shuttle for the volunteers to return to the lot where we had parked off site.

I helped carry the box spring for the bed in Ty's special room. We waited around the corner while they filmed the sequence where Eduardo tried to sneak into the room. Once they finished, we carried the box spring and mattress in. As I was bending over to set the box spring into the bed frame I bumped into someone with my backside. As I turned around to apologize I realized that I had bumped Ty Pennington. My butt hit Ty Pennington's butt. (I almost knocked him over.) So if any of you ladies is interested I will sell you the pair of pants I was wearing during the butt to butt contact for $50. If I get more than one interested party we will start a bidding war. Any way, I apologized and he said no problem. So we are basically best friends now.


Then later on I weaseled my way into the group that was selected to help unload the furniture from the truck and take it into the house. I helped Rib carry a coffee table into the house. I made sure to get a hold of a piece of furniture that one of the designers was carrying to improve my odds of making it into the final cut. I also got to high five Eduardo and Didi, and I patted Ed on the back.


This episode is going to air on March 22, so tune in and watch towards the end of the show to play a little "Where's Waldo".

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new best friend Ben! :) I don't think I need "butt" pants but good luck with that. I'll have to actually watch the show and play "Where's Ben" I'm kind of sad that they probably won't show the "butt scene" LOL

Grandpa Howe said...

And for this we bought you books and sent you to school? Butt-butt indeed!

Remember, I was in TWO made-for-TV movies and 10 episodes of "Petrocelli" (not that I'm keeping score).

Lindsey's Lemonade said...

If any one deserves to be on T.V., it's you! How fun is that!?

Anonymous said...

Cash, check, or pay pal? :)

Lesley said...

So basically when I pinch your butt I am pinching Ty's ....sweet!